Middle M/J Speech and Debate
Number of Credits
Estimated Completion Time
The purpose of this course is to develop grade 6 students' beginning awareness, understanding, and application of language arts as it applies to oral communication concepts and strategies in a variety of given settings.
The content should include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Learning and practicing a variety of speech forms
- Learning and demonstrating appropriate formal and informal public speaking techniques for audience, purpose, and occasion
- Eye contact and body movements
- Voice register and choices of language arts
- Use of standard English
- Using research & writing skills to support selected topics and points of view
- Across a range of disciplines
- Using a range of sources, including digital
- Collaboration amongst peers, especially during the drafting and practicing stages
Courses subject to availability.
Pursuant to s. 1002.20, F.S.; A public school student whose parent makes written request to the school principal shall be exempted from the teaching of reproductive health or any disease, including HIV/AIDS, in accordance with the provisions of s. 1003.42(3). Learn more about the process and which courses contain subject matter where an exemption request can be made.