Scholarship Student Information
As part of Florida’s school choice program, the state offers scholarships for Kindergarten-12th grade students who meet eligibility requirements. If your student is currently receiving one of the following scholarships, please take a moment to review the information and links below.
Scholarships are administered by Scholarship Funding Organizations, including Step Up for Students and the AAA Scholarship Foundation.
Each scholarship has individual requirements for both eligibility and access to FLVS. Learn more about the different scholarship types from the Florida Department of Education.
McKay Scholarship Students
The McKay Scholarship Program for Students with Disabilities provides students with special needs the opportunity to attend an eligible public or private school of their choice. Learn more about McKay Scholarships.
As of July 1, 2016, FLVS courses taken by a McKay scholarship recipient will be fully funded through the Florida Education Finance Program and will no longer result in a scholarship reduction. Students can take up to two (2) FLVS courses per year without it affecting eligibility.
Florida Tax Credit Scholarship Students
The Florida Tax Credit Scholarship expands educational opportunities for low-income families. Funds may be used to pay tuition and fees at an eligible private school or for transportation to a public school outside the family's residential district. Learn more about Florida Tax Credit Scholarships.
Students can take up to two (2) FLVS courses per year through the Florida Education Financing Program without it affecting their eligibility or reducing the amount of their scholarship. Taking more than two FLVS courses per year may result in a student becoming ineligible for the scholarship.
Family Empowerment Scholarship Students
Beginning July 1st, 2021, Florida Virtual School will implement the following process for families awarded the Family Empowerment Scholarship:
Family Empowerment Scholarship - Income Based
Students awarded the Family Empowerment Income Based Scholarship will be processed as follows:
- All requested courses will be invoiced as they are received.
- A Pre-authorization form for payment of course fees MUST be received by the student’s private school within 7 days, or the course request will be dropped.
- The invoice will be submitted to the responsible party (as identified on the pre-authorization form) for payment.
- Payment for course fees is due 30 days from the date of the invoice.
- Past due invoices will be subject to collections actions such as suspension of course access and delay/denial of future course requests.
Family Empowerment Scholarship - ESA (formerly known as the Gardiner Scholarship)
Students awarded the Family Empowerment ESA Scholarship - will be processed as follows:
- All requested courses will be invoiced quarterly.
- The parent will be required to provide the Scholarship Provider Student ID number
- This number is provided to you by Step Up for Students
- The parent will be required to approve the invoice once submitted through the parent portal.
- The parent portal is the portal you log into to view your scholarship account information; access is provided by Step Up for Students
- If the Scholarship provider Student ID number is not received OR the invoice is not approved within 7 days of being uploaded, the requested course will be canceled.
- If the invoice is declined by the scholarship provider, the parent will be responsible for paying the invoice.
- If the invoice is declined by the parent, course access will be suspended until the invoice is paid.
Following placement and activation in a course, a refund/cancellation will NOT be issued if the student is withdrawn after the 14-day grace period or after completing 20% or more of the segment in any status (i.e. classroom assigned, withdrawn, contact instructor, etc.); whichever occurs first.
If you have any questions on which scholarship you have been awarded or how to use your awarded scholarship, please call 877-735-7837
Please refer to these instructions
for pricing information and the payment process.