Internships with FLVS
Placing your Interns with FLVS has its advantages:
- FLVS can host most internship levels year-round
- FLVS interns have flexible hours based on their specific instructional situation
- FLVS provides interns with instructional strategies for teaching in a virtual and blended environment
- FLVS engages in best practices tailored to meet Florida Educator Accomplished Practices
An Internship opportunity at FLVS
- is only available to students actively enrolled in an education degree program which requires an instructional internship for graduation or an EPI (Educator Preparation Institute)
- is only available to Florida residents
- is a non-paid position
- is not a guarantee for future employment with FLVS
- satisfies the Florida state requirement for certification
- requires the intern to complete a background clearance/fingerprint specifically for FLVS via Fieldprint. Each prospective intern will be responsible for scheduling the services offered through Fieldprint. FLVS cannot accept results or fingerprints from another company, district or organization.
Due to the unique educational model employed at FLVS, there are some essential practices that potential qualified pre-service teachers need to consider before applying to our school for their internship.
Interns should/are expected to:
- Display an interest in developing their presentation skills.
- Enjoy being on camera as it helps to engage students.
- Have strong time management skills and possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Adhere to the same turnaround time as teachers for answering communication from students or parents and submitting graded assignments. We require a response to student or parent communication within 24 hours, and we require that assignments must be graded with individualized feedback within 48 hours.
- Attend all scheduled meetings on time.
- Study and learn course lessons and content in their assigned subject in order to provide specific feedback and support to the student.
- Utilize FLVS grading rubrics and follow grading expectations outlined in the FLVS Internship handbook.
- Be able to quickly master technical skills such as using Google for Education, Microsoft Suite, Zoom, Outlook, etc.
- Be capable of spending approximately 50-75% of their internship on the phone and/or computer as our teachers communicate with students and parents one-on-one to provide them with a personalized educational experience.
In consideration of all the needed skills listed above, if you have a disability that qualifies for ADA accommodations, FLVS will provide those accommodations to as great an extent as possible and fully within the requirements of the law. Please notify us in advance if ADA accommodations are needed.